Prioritization issue - bug or misunderstanding?
  • Doing the trial of Trog bar on Win/XP sp3 and Outlook 2007, fully patched.   I have a Strategic Calendar which includes a simple all day appointment called "work", all lower-case. "work" is recurring daily (all 7 days) from 1/1/2009 - 7/31/2011.  Attached is the info on the 5 items I have processed so far.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The "Logical?" column is the order I would have expected to see for these processed items in the TaskSense Now queue, but instead they are in the order shown in the second column.  Am I missing something?  Thanks!!

Trog Prioritization Issue.xls
  • 2 Comments sorted by
  • TaskSense is approximate, not exact. It excels at digging through hundreds or thousands of tasks and bringing the important stuff to the top in a reasonably decent order. With only 5 tasks, the order isn't going to be nearly as meaningful.

That said, looking at your grid I noticed some places where the TaskSense algorithms could be improved. I've recorded the things I noticed, and we'll evaluate what impact these changes would have on the rankings in all scenarios. I believe with the proper adjustments, given the data in your list TaskSense could identify the order you proposed as the "logical" order. We'll just need to make sure that fixing it for your data won't break it for other people's data.
  • Thanks for the response. I understant the idea of attempting to deal with thousands of tasks, however in order to trust the software it's got to work for a manageable few items. In its current form it doesn't look to me that the documentation matches your algorithm. I like the concept, but will have to pass for now. I'll check back next year. I do appreciate your looking at this. Thanks.